|Common Name||Terror Birds|
|Egg||Terror Bird Egg|
|XP For Kill||4 XP|
|PC Release Date||February 7, 2016 (v235.0)|
|Xbox Release Date||March 7, 2016 (v732.0)|
|Favorite Kibble||Kibble (Gallimimus Egg)|
|Saddle||Terror Bird Saddle (lvl 25)|
|Incubation Range||20 - 28 °C / 68 - 82 °F|
|Incubation Time||1h 59m 59s|
|Baby Stage Time||4h 37m 46s|
Ranging from eight to twelve feet tall, Phorusrhacidae Rapidesultor is a highly aggressive avian that is just barely capable of very brief "flight". Instead, it uses its wings primarily for balance during its high speed sprints. Phorusrhacidae flight is actually closer to an impressive sustained leap or glide that is assisted and lengthened by flapping of its wings.
Phorusrhacidae shows interesting traits related to theropods such as Utahraptor, Carnotaurus, and Tyrannosaurus. It has many similar traits, such as general shape and predation patterns, but its attacks tend towards lightning dashes and leaping slashes.
Phorusrhacidae is an excellent combat mount, particularly for harassing and scouting. Riders of Phorusrhacidae gain most of the benefits of a fast, mobile ground-based theropod, while also gaining some of the freedom of movement of a flyer... assuming the rider can coax Phorusrhacidae into staying in the air over a long leap.
— The Dossier
The Phorusrhacidae or Terror Bird is a small carnivorous bird found on the Ark.
- To glide press and hold the jump button (default Space). The Terror Bird will glide with the same speed it was running when you jumped. This gliding speed can be maintained for a good distance, but it eventually does start slowing down, and the bird will (gently) descend along with the decrease in speed.
- If you stop gliding the bird will start falling even if you hit space again afterwards. Flapping its wings will however reduce the falling damage.
- The dossier image of the Terror Bird shows it with a vestigial dew claw, but the in-game model of the creature lacks this feature.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- The Terror Bird's "genus", Phorusrhacidae, actually refers to the family informally known as terror birds rather than a particular genus. The skull that is seen in its dossier appears to be of the famous terror bird Phorusrhacos. If this is the true identity of the Terror Bird seen in ARK, its true scientific name would be Phorusrhacos rapidesultor.
- Despite spawning most commonly in the mountains, real life Terror Birds were plains dwellers that hunted out in the open.
- The Name Phorusrhacos rapidesuitor roughly translate into "Agile Glider Wrinkle Bearer", or "Fast Glider Terror Bird".
- In game, a Terror Bird can glide quite long distances, something that isn't seen in it's real life counterpart.